IMCC member, teacher, and White Awake group member, Jackie Erskine, wrote in to NPR show 1A with Joshua Johnson on the topic of, "What Can I do to Stop Hate Groups" which aired on August 15. Jackie talks about her experiences in the ongoing White Awake initiative at IMCC. Her letter was read at the 25:57 mark. You can listen to the podcast here:
What Can I Do to Stop Hate Groups?
UCARE is a University of Virginia initiative whose mission is to understand and remedy the University’ legacy of slavery, segregation and discrimination within and outside of the University.To subscribe to UCARE’s weekly e-newsletter of relevant events in the Charlottesville area, click here.
Start with the Story C-ville is a collection of information assembled with the aim of telling the story of Charlottesville's history of race in its City's Spaces. It is a resource to learn about and connect with local institutions, projects, advocacy groups, and resources related to equality.
- Racial Awareness and White Privilege Resource List (PDF)
- Precepts (PDF)
- Waking Up White, and Finding Myself in the Story of Race - Debby Irving
- The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism - Edward E. Baptist
- The Warmth of Other Suns - Isabel Wilkerson
- Just Mercy - Bryan Stevenson
- Radical Dharma: Talking Race, Love and Liberation - Rev. Angel Kyodo Williams, Lama Rod Owens, Jasmine Syedullah, PhD
- Between the World and Me - Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Race: The Power of an Illusion - film written by Christine Herbes-Sommers, Tracy Heather Strain, Llewellyn M. Smith